The faster a person’s metabolism, the more calories a person burns. Unfortunately as someone gets older, their metabolism tends to slow down. My metabolism started slowing down for multiple reasons: bad eating habits, stress, skipping meals, not drinking enough water, staying up late, and not getting enough sleep. I have since learned that I can reverse this, that there are ways to boost a person’s metabolism.
- Get enough sleep! The average adult is suggested to get close to 8 hours of sleep.
- Drink water! I can feel when I haven’t had enough water (irritable, tired, my kidneys will hurt).
- Eat breakfast! I used to believe that if I skipped breakfast, I would lose weight. But as my mom would say “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”
- Hot/Spicy foods can speed up metabolism (chilis, jalapenos..)
- When exercising, switch up your routine. Try running at intervals or switch up your cardio (jumping jacks, jump roping, walk with an incline).